Last weekend our friends at NIS America invited the team to their annual Press Event, showcasing upcoming games for PC, PS4, PS Vita, and even Nintendo Switch! With a total of 19 upcoming titles, it’s needless to say things are gonna be pretty great. And without further ado…
Birthdays the Beginning (PS4, Steam)
At long last, Birthdays the Beginning looks to be the game to bring a new age of the Simulation genre. This little piece of eye candy allows players to shape their worlds and meet the conditions needed to support new life. From dinosaurs to cave men, the in-depth customization of the title may very well be like none seen before.
- “From the legendary creator, Mr. Yasuhiro Wada (TOYBOX Inc.), comes Birthdays the Beginning: a new sandbox game in which players create cube-shaped worlds that give rise to diverse and unique lifeforms. With careful experimentation, players can shape the geography and alter the temperature of each world to create the conditions for life and witness the birth of an entire ecosystem!”
Psycho-Pass Mandatory Happiness (Steam)
Following last year’s PlayStation 4 release, Psycho-Pass Mandatory Happiness is now making its way to Steam. Based on the anime series, Psycho-Pass Mandatory Happiness allows players to step into the shoes of young detectives Nadeshiko Kugatachi and Takuma Tsurugi in the dystopian future Tokyo where criminals can be prosecuted for crimes they’ve yet to commit. The game introduces new events that run parallel to those of the anime itself.
- “2112, Tokyo. In this visual novel, decide the fates of Nadeshiko Kugatachi and Takuma Tsurugi, two new detectives assigned to Division 1. Every decision has its own repercussion, victims can become criminals, and the story may end quicker than expected. Will there be a spot for you?”
A Rose in the Twilight (Vita, Steam)
Following the recent cult classic htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diary, A Rose in the Twilight offers players a challenging puzzle platforming experience. With the ability to manipulate time and the color of blood, Rose must learn the secrets of her own path.
- “A girl awakens in a castle void of color and time, affixed with the Curse of Thorns upon her back. After meeting a sleeping giant, the two work together to escape. Help them unravel the mystery of the thorns and the history behind the somber castle.”
- “Saddle up for some 8-bit dungeon-crawling goodness with the latest entry in the Cladun series, Cladun Returns: This Is Sengoku! Meet classic heroes from Japan’s Sengoku Era as you help the souls of the dead settle their unfinished business.”
- “Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy is a sci-fi dungeon crawling RPG that takes place in near-future Tokyo. With the city under the constant threat of Variants-genetically engineered monsters-and the emergence of portals leading to a mysterious dimension called the Abyss, the government has established a secret organization called the Code Physics Agency to investigate these mysterious phenomena. Operating under the guise of a private school called Hinowa Academy, the CPA recruits teenage youths to be part of the “Xion Trans human (Xth) Squad.” The CPA uses their Code technology to provide the Xth Squad with “Blood Codes”, special Codes that contain the genomes of history’s greatest heroes and bestow the Xth Squad with powerful abilities to combat the Variant menace. Using a team of six people, the player will map dungeons, evade traps, and face powerful monsters as they investigate the mystery behind the Variants and the Abyss.”
- “Continue the story of Operation Abyss and defend near-future Tokyo from a new threat in this dungeon crawling RPG. When a mysterious object – dubbed ‘the Embryo’ – appears in the sky, the CPA and the Xth Squad are mobilized to face the new threat. Venture into challenging new labyrinths and create the perfect team to challenge each threat. Featuring a mysterious new story, unprecedented character customization through the new ‘Sub-Blood’ system, and item based character ability modifications, Operation Babel: New Tokyo Legacy will give you a world to lose yourself in.”
There are games about the plot, and others about “plot.” Tokyo Tattoo Girls is certainly the later. By taking the role of a magical tattoo artist, the player may power up their chosen partner as they fight for freedom.
- “The game takes place in Tokyo after some devastating events. The city has been divided into 23 wards, each controlled by a powerful group known as “Kumi” – together, these Kumi form the “Union.” As the player, you will choose a companion character to help you defeat all of Tokyo’s 23 wards and escape the city. Strengthen and develop your companion’s abilities by giving her powerful tattoos, and defeat the Union to make your escape!”
For the first time since the original game, Disgaea makes its way to a Nintendo console. Disgaea 5 Complete is the complete game with all the previously released DLC packaged right on the disc. The Nintendo Switch port promises to be the ultimate Disgaea experience, Flonnezilla and all!
- “Originally released in 2015 on PlayStation 4 as Disgaea: Alliance of Vengeance, this new Nintendo Switch version includes everything in that version plus all the scenarios, characters, classes, and other DLC. Take the most over-the-top strategy RPG anywhere with this tale of revenge, and of rebellion. As a new and terrible Overlord named Void Dark seeks to enslave the countless Netherworlds, one young demon has stood to end his reign – Killia. In Disgaea 5 Complete, players lead Killia and his tenacious army of rebels on their dark and dangerous path to vengeance. Filled with more over-the-top action and hilarious writing than ever before, Disgaea 5 Complete will keep you playing for days on end.”
One part Yu-Gi-Oh!, one part Fire Emblem, and one part Monopoly, comes the strategy card game Culdcept Revolt. The game brings all the best types of games together as players fight eachother and the enemy CPU.
- “As the series celebrates its 20th Anniversary, the addictive card game-meets-board game is back, bigger and better than ever with hundreds of new cards, inventive boards, and exciting multiplayer. Follow Allen, a new recruit for the rebel Free Bat forces as you fight for freedom from the tyranny of Count . Build your deck, create new strategies, and dominate the board in Culdcept Revolt! With all the classic elements veterans love yet a gentle learning curve for newcomers, Culdcept Revolt is the best Culdcept yet.”
For the very first time, RPG Maker is making its way to handheld! RPG Maker Fes offers players the opportunity to develop games for arguably the greatest RPG platform in history, the Nintendo 3DS!
- “Ready to become a game developer? RPG Maker Fes makes it easy to develop any RPG you can imagine with no need for programming know-how. Simple, but powerful tools let you bring to life the amazing stories in your head. Customize the characters, stories, combat and more to become the next great developer. Then, share your creations and play others with the free RPG Maker Player. What story will you share?”
Fans of Disgaea, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Fire Emblem will want to try out this upcoming SRPG!
- “GOD WARS Future Past is a tactical RPG that explores the untold history of Japan through folklore and tactical combat. Experience the traditional stories of Japan’s origin from the points of view of three warring nations through gameplay and beautiful anime cinematics. Engage in deep tactical combat with a myriad of character classes. Explore the lives of heroes who made their mark by fighting against the fate set out before them.”
- “In this roguelike RPG, you will take control of Reimu, the Hakurei Shrine Maiden, to investigate the latest incident to take place in the world of Gensokyo. Along the way, you’ll encounter a variety of characters from the Touhou Project universe, discover mountains of loot-each piece of which is valuable thanks to the game’s item fusion system-and test your mettle with your favorite Touhou girl in tow as your adventuring partner!”
- “After getting sucked into a magical book, Aya and Momiji must find their way back home. Explore every nook and cranny to unravel the mystery of the Book World!
Swap between the two girls in battle, so you can utilize their abilities to gain the advantage. Aya excels at long-distance combat, and she can float and dash for short distances. As for Momiji, close-range combat is her specialty, and she can run up walls and sprint for long distances.
Not only is the map of this world massive, but there are many hidden areas that exist too. Within them, you might find skills or items that may come in handy during battle, so if you come across something suspicious, check it out!”
As if two upcoming Touhou Projects wasn’t enough, here comes a third!
- “Toulon Kabuto V: Burst Battle is a bullet-hell battle game that takes place in the Toulon universe. Take control of your favorite Toulon characters and join the fray. Featuring ear-tingling beats for each character, you might just find yourself dancing while you play.”
- “Get two of the best murder-mystery adventures in one! Whether you’re trapped in school in Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, or stranded on an island in Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair, you’re sure to have a thrilling time!
In Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, enter Hope’s Peak Academy, a prestigious high school reserved for the nation’s “ultimate” students. Things get a bit twisted when the academy’s students find themselves trapped inside with Monokuma, a maniacal bear who has taken them all prisoner to play his deadly game of despair.
Continue the adventure in Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair with a brand new cast of Ultimates. Mysteriously trapped on Jabberwock Island in their own life-or-death game, having fun in the sun with this twisted teddy requires more than a bit of wit to survive.”
- “In Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls, you play as Komaru Naegi and Toko Fukawa as they battle impossible odds to escape Towa City. The children of the town, led by the Warriors of Hope, have begun a revolution against the adults. Can you discover the secrets of Towa City and escape, or will the despair consume you?”
The killing game looks better than ever with the highest production values the series has had up to date.
Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony is a fresh new start to the series in story and gameplay. It all takes place at the Ultimate Academy for Delinquent Juveniles. Newly updated game mechanics include panic debates, the art of deception, and new mini-games including post-game board games and RPG scenarios.
- “As the killing game begins a third time, the line between lies and the truth has never been more blurred! Welcome to a new world of Danganronpa, and prepare yourself for the biggest, most exhilarating episode yet. Set in a “psycho-cool” environment, a new cast of 16 characters find themselves kidnapped and imprisoned in a school. Inside, some will kill, some will die, and some will be punished. Reimagine what you thought high-stakes, fast-paced investigation was as you investigate twisted murder cases and condemn your new friends to death. Forget what you thought you knew about Danganronpa and join a completely new cast of Ultimates for a brand new beginning.”
The Silver Case comes to PS4 bigger and better than ever before! This enhanced port includes two brand new scenarios, new illustrations, a remixed soundtrack, and two brand new tracks.
- “A string of mysterious serial killings plagues the city. The detectives of the 24 Wards Heinous Crimes Unit have their eyes on one man: Kamui Uehara, legendary serial killer and assassin of a number of government officials 20 years prior in the now-famous “Silver Case.” However, nobody knows who-or what-Kamui really is. Has he really returned? Who is this infamous serial killer? As the player, you will take control of the protagonist-a member of the Special Forces Unit known as “Republic”-from a first-person perspective. Inspired by classic adventure and visual novel-style games, The Silver Case offers a fresh and unique gameplay experience as it leads the player through an in-depth story containing various puzzles, and uncovering the truth piece by piece.”
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA (PS4, Vita, Steam)
“Ys returns with a brand new adventure for the first time in 8 years! Adel awakens shipwrecked and stranded on a cursed island. There, he and the other shipwrecked passengers he rescues form a village to challenge fearsome beasts and mysterious ruins on the isolated island. Amidst this, Adel begins to dream of a mysterious blue-haired maiden living in a unknown world. Join Adel as he unravels the riddle of the cursed isle and the blue haired maiden Dana in Ys VIII: Lachrymose of DANA.”